As I observed in my last post, that there places where you immediately feel at home and some where you can live for a long time and yet not feel any connection. So while I sit down and wait for the flight back from Athens, let me list out some reasons why I felt like home in Athens.
1. The Sun is shining most of the time – I love the Sun. Of course I don’t have to be out when it’s too hot, but when it comes out everyday, the mood is better!
2. Ancient lands – Both of these countries have had ancient civilizations that were quite advanced. It’s a pity that things deteriorated over the centuries but you can see that the ancient wisdom has survived!
3. Crazy Rich Mythology – Oh yes! Once you start exploring, you can go deeper and deeper and yet not know all the stories!
4. 2 epics each. India – Ramayana and Mahabharata, Greece – Odyssey and Iliad, which almost everyone, at least in the country knows of.
5. Culture of Fresh Delicious Food 😋
6. Temples – Oh yes, temple after temple abound in both places. Alright, in Greece they are mostly ruined but yet, even in the ruins you can still see the magnificence.
7. Friendly, helpful people (generally) – You will find all kinds of people everywhere but generally, I feel people are warm hearted in both the countries.
8. Full of colors – Warm countries tend to have more colors than the cold ones. That shows also in the general surroundings. Even the marble statues from ancient Greece which you see as off white today, originally had colors on them!
9. Great arts and crafts – You can go wild if you want to buy the beautiful things the craftsmen have to offer in both the places.
10. Music – There is always music in the air.
The list can go on but I will stop at that for now. Time to go back.
“Mechri tin epomeni” – That’s how it sounds “Until next” in Greek.